Day 1: Bukit Indah to Desaru

Distance: <105km
Destination: Sand & Sandals Resort and Spa
Time taken: 1:30, easy riding and a stop for tailbone relief
Lesson(s) learnt:
drivers tend to overtake even if there is an oncoming motorbike. There were at least three instances when I was passed by oncoming traffic in my lane. Generally harmless, unless something goes awry and there is no hard shoulder. To all Malaysian bikers, I apologize. I can't be certain, but I imagine there was a time or two when I was one of these drivers.


I am most of the way through Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels, and I have to say I have been partly inspired by him. I am doing the no plan part, but traveling with just a toothbrush and an expired passport could prove to be a little bit..... smelly. I settled for the minimalist approach, which is going to result in some reusing.


So here's me, with no saddlebags or touring seat, ready to ride off.


First stop is Desaru, where the family and I will spend two nights doing what we love best; relaxing and playing by the pool and beach.

The ride was fairly easy; north-south highway towards Senai then follow the signs that say Desaru. Some lovely scenery on the way. A beautiful bridge spanning picturesque villages beside the aqua blue waters of the river mouth, complete with little sampans powered by outboard motors. I should stop and take more pictures, but the thought of stopping, parking, taking helmet, glasses and gloves off, and then doing everything in reverse again just puts me off the idea.

Got caught in 3 minutes of rain which left me drenched to the inner clothes, but I dried off soon enough.

The resort was formerly known as Pulai Desaru, and we were here three years ago for my daughter's first birthday. At the time, it was a beautiful place with a not-very-spectacular breakfast menu. It has recently been acquired and rebranded (name is at the beginning) and when it is finally complete will be a 5-star resort complete with theme park.



Despite work still going on, it is still a beautiful place with wonderful staff and much better food. The beach here is simply beautiful, and still mostly natural. It rained a bit, otherwise we might have indulged in some kayaking. As it were, we limited ourselves to swimming, playing in the waves, beach football (I nearly died) and lots of laughs. Most of my best memories are made of the same stuff, from the first time I took Gail away for her birthday to all the family holidays in between. Give me a beach any day!



Come Sunday morning, the family heads home while I head away on my grand adventure. I have to say I am a little bit nervous, and will miss the wife and brats while I am away. No excuse to quit now, I say. We must carry on!

Comments